1/3 head of cauliflower chopped
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
2 c broth
3 TB blue cheese/Gorgonzola, crumbled
2 TB mozzarella, grated
2 TB Parmesan, grated
2 TB Swiss cheese/Gruyere, grated
1 TB raw cashews
1 1/2 slices bacon, cut into matchsticks
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 lb chicken breast, cubed 1/2 inch pieces, patted dry
2 large portobello mushrooms diced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 TB fresh chopped basil2 roma tomatoes, diced small
12 oz pasta gluten free or whole wheat
1 roasted spaghetti squash (see instruction below)
Instructions for Carbonara Sauce:
1. Combine in a saucepan cauliflower, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove with broth, bring to a boil and simmer until all vegetables are soft.
2. While the cauliflower is simmering... saute bacon 1 onion and 3 garlic cloves in another pot.
3. Add chicken to the pot and stir over high heat for 2 minutes... if it starts to stick add 1-2 TB water.
4. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with seas salt and pepper, lower heat. Cover pan and simmer on low for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are soft.
5. While the chicken and mushrooms are simmering...in a blender puree cauliflower, broth, all the cheeses and cashews.
6. Pour the pureed sauce over the chicken and mushrooms and add 1 tablespoon of chopped basil, stirring over medium heat until heated through.
7. For a delicious gluten free meal, serve over roasted spaghetti squash or gluten free pasta Or serve over whole wheat pasta.
8. Garnish each plate with chopped tomatoes and basil.
Serves about 5
Instructions for Roasting Spaghetti Squash: If using Spaghetti Squash plan for 1 hour of roasting time.
1. Halve the squash, remove seeds and pulp.
2. Coat the inside with cooking spray or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Place on a baking sheet inside UP and roast for 60 minutes at 375 degrees.
4. Removed, let cool enough to handle, removed the spaghetti from the skin, keep warm.